It is normal for new parents to feel anxious or worried as they adjust to their baby’s habits, needs and personality. Most common problems that occur with your baby will have simple answers.
However, you should be aware of a number of symptoms that require medical attention, including:
- Pale skin
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Eating poorly or refusing to eat
- No bowel movement for 48 hours or less than six wet diapers a day
- Redness, drainage or foul odor from the umbilical cord
- No urination six to eight hours after circumcision
- A temperature of 100° F or higher
- Difficulty breathing
- Repeated vomiting or several refused feedings in a row
- Crying excessively with no known cause
- An unusual or severe rash (other than prickly heat)
- Frequent or successive bowel movements with excess fluid, mucus or foul odor
- Drastic behavior changes, such as increased irritability, excessive crying with no known cause, extreme sleepiness or floppy arms and legs
- Congested cough, running eyes or running nose
IF YOUR BABY HAS BLUE LIPS OR SKIN, DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today