The plastic surgeons at UPMC in Central Pa. perform a full range of breast procedures using the latest surgical techniques.
Age, pregnancy, nursing, and weight gain or loss can all affect the size and shape of your breasts. Our plastic surgery specialists offer breast procedures to help you achieve your optimal breast shape and size and provide you with a natural-looking silhouette. Whatever your needs, our board-certified experts are available to help you achieve your ideal breast appearance.
What Breast Plastic Surgery Procedures are Offered at UPMC in Central Pa.?
The experienced, highly trained plastic surgery providers at UPMC offer a full range of personalized breast procedures. Our board-certified experts will evaluate your needs and goals and carefully consider which breast procedure would provide you with the most benefit before developing your customized surgical plan.
Our breast procedures include:
- Autologous breast reconstruction. Autologous breast reconstruction involves using your own tissue to reconstruct your breast rather than using a silicone or saline implant. It can be both natural and long lasting.
- Breast augmentation (augmentation mammoplasty).As the most common cosmetic surgery in the United States, many women undergo breast augmentation to enhance the size and shape of their breasts. Regardless of whether you are looking to balance the size of uneven breasts or to compensate for reduced breast mass after pregnancy or surgery, breast augmentation can give you a firmer, fuller, and rejuvenated appearance. Your surgeon may suggest combining breast augmentation with a breast lift to provide additional firmness.
- Breast lift (mastopexy). A breast lift raises the breast and creates a more youthful contour by removing excess skin and tightening breast tissue. A breast lift may also be used to reduce the size of the areola. Your surgeon may suggest combining a breast lift with a breast augmentation procedure to provide additional fullness.
- Breast reconstruction. Breast reconstruction surgery involves rebuilding the breast so it simulates its original size and shape. Women who have undergone cancer treatment involving a mastectomy or lumpectomy, or those who have experienced another form of breast trauma, may choose to have breast reconstruction surgery to help them feel whole again. Our expert surgeons offer three types of breast reconstruction surgeries, including breast cancer reconstruction post-mastectomy, breast cancer oncoplastic breast reduction, and nipple reconstruction, areola tattooing, and secondary fat-grafting procedures. Your surgeon will discuss which option is best for your condition and appearance goals as part of your personalized treatment plan.
- Breast resensation. One issue some patients may face who undergo a mastectomy is loss of sensation over the chest wall. Breast resesation surgery can connect an existing nerve in the chest wall to a nerve that enters the breast flap. This surgery encourages the body to allow nerve regrowth along the path to restore sensation.
- Female breast reduction (reduction mammoplasty). Women who have disproportionately large breasts (macromastia) may feel a number of uncomfortable physical and emotional symptoms. Female breast reduction removes extra breast tissue to sculpt lighter and more proportionate breasts. For an even firmer and more youthful appearance, your surgeon may suggest combining this procedure with a breast lift. Female breast reduction can also be performed as a fully aesthetic procedure.
- Male breast reduction (gynecomastia surgery). There are many reasons why men develop excess breast tissue (gynecomastia). Male breast reduction can be used to reduce breast size and enhance the chest’s flatter and more masculine contour. Male breast reduction can also reposition and resize the areola.
Is Breast Plastic Surgery Right for Me?
Before any plastic surgery procedure, your surgeon will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your specific situation to determine whether plastic surgery can help you achieve your personal appearance goals.
Your surgeon will ask you about your health history, your activities, and your desired results. Keep in mind that not everyone is a candidate for all breast plastic surgery procedures. If you are a candidate for plastic surgery, your surgeon will create a personalized treatment plan for you.
Your surgeon will also discuss the risks and benefits of your procedure and will let you know what you can expect before, during, and after surgery. If you have questions, your surgeon will take the time to provide you with the education, information, and reassurance you need.
If you decide to proceed, you will meet with a member of our team who will provide pre-surgery instructions and information and assist you with scheduling, payment arrangements, insurance approvals (if applicable), and coordinating your follow-up care.
For additional information on what to expect, please see our Plastic Surgery FAQ.
Please note: we cannot provide cost estimates for surgical procedures prior to the initial consultation appointment.
Need more information?
UPMC Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
950 Woodland Street
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Plastic & Aesthetic Surgical Associates
300 Continental Drive
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
Plastic & Aesthetic Surgical Associates
1535 Highlands Drive
Lititz, PA 17543-7681
UPMC Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery York
1779 5th Avenue
York, PA 17403