Cardiogenic shock (CS) is life-threatening and requires prompt recognition and action.
The experts at the UPMC Cardiogenic Shock Program provide support for patients in CS.
We're here 24/7 for patient consults or transfer requests. And we maintain open and constant contact with referring physicians throughout the entire process.
Refer a Patient to Our Cardiogenic Shock Program
If you're treating a patient who has any of the following symptoms, call Medcall at 412-647-7000.
- Reduced left ventricular function with EF of 35% or less.
- Acute myocardial infarction and any systolic blood pressure less than 90.
- Symptoms of hypotension.
- Inotropic/pressor requirement outside of the cath lab.
Another cause of cardiogenetic shock is end-stage organ failure including worsening kidney function and lactate greater than 2.0.
Why Refer Your Patient to the UPMC Cardiogenic Shock Program?
Patients referred to our program have access to:
- A dedicated team of CS experts who triage patients quickly and effectively.
- A tailored treatment plan that best suits your patient's needs.
- World-renowned experts from the UPMC Advanced Heart Failure Center. We can quickly assess your patient for a heart transplant or VAD.
- Seamless transition of care to the UPMC Heart Failure Discharge Clinic and Advanced Therapies Referral Clinic.
- Continued follow-up care at the UPMC Presbyterian Outpatient Cardiology Clinic.
- Patients referred to UPMC have access to cutting-edge research and innovative care through the Cardiogenic Shock Working Group Registry.
Our Team of CS Experts
Our team includes:
- Interventional and heart failure cardiologists
- Critical care physicians and nurses
- STAT emergency medicine.
- CT surgeons.
Meet the Team