3D Mammography (Tomosynthesis)
UPMC Chautauqua is the first hospital in the region to offer 3D mammograms.
Benefits of 3D mammography
- Provide clearer images of dense breast tissue.
- Take pictures from many angles and are more accurate at spotting breast cancer. This reduces the need for more tests.
- Detect small breast cancers that a digital mammogram might not show.
- Are more likely to detect multiple breast tumors.
- Only take a few seconds longer than a normal mammogram, a difference most women don't notice.
To schedule your yearly mammogram today, call 716-664-8448.
UPMC Chautauqua offers a comprehensive array of breast health services including breast MRI exams.
MRI imaging of the breast is performed to:
- Identify early breast cancer not detected through other means, especially in women with dense breast tissue and those at high risk.
- Evaluate abnormalities detected by a mammogram or ultrasound.
- Distinguish between scar tissue and recurrent tumors.
- Determine whether cancer detected by mammogram, ultrasound, or after surgical biopsy has spread further in the breast or into the chest wall.
- Assess the effect of chemotherapy.
- Provide additional information on breast cancer to make treatment decisions.
- Determine the integrity of breast implants.
To schedule a breast MRI exam, call 716-664-8674. Please note that a physician's order is required for this MRI exam.
Breast Health Navigator Services
To make an appointment with the breast navigator, call 716-485-7898.
Our breast navigator at UPMC Chautauqua is a mammography tech with a navigation certification in breast imaging and:
- Works closely with your doctors, care team, and others.
- Helps you and your family throughout your treatment.
- Provides support and guidance for you and your loved ones.
How our breast navigator can help
We help you:
- Schedule a consult with a pathologist if you wish to discuss your lab results after a breast biopsy.
- Make an appointment for a breast MRI.
- Schedule a surgical consult.
- Make appointments for other recommended exams.
- Connect you with community support and outreach programs.
- And much more.