Taking some time to plan and prepare can make your hospital stay more comfortable and less stressful. The following checklist is a guide for what to bring with you.
- Health insurance cards.
- Personal identification cards.
- Your doctors’ names and phone numbers.
- Advance directives, Power of Attorney or Living Will if you have one.
- Medical history.
- List of medications. Please be sure to include prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and any herbal or natural supplements. (Only bring actual medications to the hospital with you if instructed by physician.)
- Inhalers, if you are asthmatic. Give your inhalers to your nurse when you arrive.
- Bag or backpack to carry your personal items.
Toiletries such as your toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, deodorant, soap, shampoo, a comb or hair brush.
Protective containers for eyeglasses, contacts, dentures, wigs or prosthesis.
Writing paper and pen, for making notes or recording questions you want to ask your doctor.
You may wish to have about $10 with you for newspapers or other items.
Please do not bring jewelry, credit cards, money or other valuables.
Be Prepared to Let Us Know
- Diet restrictions and preferences
- Language interpretation and communication assistance needs
- Religious or cultural preferences
- Other special needs
If you have any questions you would like to ask your doctor or our staff please bring them with you. If you have any general questions prior to your stay, please contact our call center, UPMC Phone Line, at 717-231-8900 between the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or email@example.com and one of our customer service representatives would be happy to assist you.
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today