As a caregiver you are your loved one’s advocate, speaking up for them when they cannot, and working with doctors, nurses and hospital staff to understand their condition and treatment options.
To help your loved one make the best decisions about their care and treatment, be sure to:
- Know what condition your loved one is being treated for.
- Have read our patient rights and responsibilities information.
- Know whether or not your loved one has an advanced directive and, if so, what it specifies.
- Ask questions and make note of your loved one’s concerns and any you may have. Don’t be afraid to voice these concerns to the hospital staff.
- Help keep track of medications.
- Ask to speak with a case manager to find out what may be the next steps after your loved one leaves the hospital.
While you are making sure that your loved one’s needs are being met, don’t neglect your own. Caregiving can be a stressful and time-consuming job. You may neglect your diet, normal exercise routine and sleep needs. Don’t be reluctant to ask for help in caring for your loved one. Find out more about how you can ease the stress of caregiving at www.caregiver.org.
- Caregiver resources from the Administration on Aging – Aoa.gov
- Online support groups and articles on caregiving – Caregiving.com
- Children of Aging Parents – 800-227-7294
- Eldercare Locator – 800-677-1116
- Help with locating aging services throughout the U.S. – eldercare.gov
- 800-MEDICARE – medicare.gov
- National Alliance for Caregiving – Caregiving.org
- National Family Caregivers Association – 800-896-3650
- Support for caregivers of chronically ill, aged, or disabled young ones – caregiveraction.org
If you need assistance with caregiving please call our Social Work and Discharge Planning Department at 717-782-5574 between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today